Tuesday, 25 October 2011

A five cent coin can buy a lot

I don't know where to start. And I don't know where to end.

Somehow we were in another vortex of a different reality over the last 24 hours.

Our little three-year-old Gabriel choked on a five cent coin yesterday. We were talking in the dining room and heard strange gurgling sounds from the lounge room - I rushed in and noted he was struggling to breathe, bright red and completely scared - realising he was choking on something, I performed the Heimlich hug on him and out came vomit, but nothing else. It took us a couple of minutes to convince him to tell us what he had in his mouth - it was a 'doin' (his version of coin). Within minutes there was a pain onset around the chest and spasms started around the same area. We had a mad dash to emergency, who took us straight through to x-ray to find the rogue 'doin'. It was lodged in his esophagus, right in the middle of his chest. And then there was a transfer to the Royal Children's Hospital for the quick surgery to remove the 'doin', which in the end turned out to be five cents. He went under a general, was scared like any little boy or girl would be, and spent the night being monitored in the Short Stay Unit. We were discharged today and have now returned home utterly exhausted but oh so thankful we got the coin to move out of his throat, to the RCH team, the surgeons and the special care the RCH nurses take with out little ones.

The universe is giving my family some strong messages this year. We are hearing them. Now we just have to put it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment