Monday 28 March 2011

Vintage woodland beauty...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Aren't these the most gorgeous vintage illustrations? This book is called 'The Red School Bag' - it was written by Willis Mloduch, illustrated by Ann Justina, published by Danny Books Inc and printed in Sweden. I only came across one reference to it on Amazon and it was a 1953 publication.

The romanticism of the illustrations speak straight to my heart. Growing up in the 1970s, I found my books were all still brightly coloured, romantic illustrations. I love woodland. I love bluebirds. I love mushrooms. I love goblins and witches and secret places. Love it.

I thought you vintage lovers out there would get a kick out of 1950s childrens illustrations - so here are some of the finest...

2 comments:

  1. Ness, did you ever read The Magic Faraway Tree and all the sequels? I could never get enough of them when I was little (60's).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! I have many childhood memories of Moonface and his slide - and the popping candy! I love those books - I have already started to read them to my son :)

    ReplyDelete