Sunday 27 April 2008

The long weekend, the vintage fabric stash and the wardrobe...

We've had such a lovely long weekend here - Australia had ANZAC Day on Friday and all of us stop for a bit to remember those men and women who have fought for us in the decades past. My Grandfather wasn't a fan of ANZAC Day until his latter years as he was only posted to Mataranka in the Northern Territory (Australia) and never really got to see anything of World War II (thank goodness for him)...the downside being, as he wasn't send overseas he wasn't able to get any veteran benefits from the Australian Government. So I remember previous ANZAC Day's with mixed feelings...

Looking back it was meant to be (funny timing and all that), but on Friday we decided to evaluate space in the kid's toy room. It's chockers with toys, number one's computer, toys, toys, toys and everything little ones like to have around them. It had two main furniture components - my Grandparent's 1950's laminex table and my Grandfather's men's wardrobe. We decided to the kids needed more space in there so had to figure out what to do with the wardrobe...I just can't give it away as it has a very strong sentimental attachment, but what does one do with a gorgeous men's wardrobe??? Below are shots of the sides (they swing out to reveal these compartments and the sticker located in the middle...my, what we were like in the 1940s! My Grandparent's moved to Glenlyon Rd in Brunswick when they were married in 1948 and brought their kids up in the community...



Well, I have bits and pieces of fabrics at home so we heaved and pushed and pulled the wardrobe up the hallway, through the kitche, through the dining room, through the piano room and into my workroom...to be filled with fabric offcuts and general pieces that have yet to be offered for sale. These aren't even in our inventory! - so you can imagine just how much we have...

So, one hour later this is what we have...nothing neat and tidy or on bolts as they're not up for sale...but you get the idea! Yes, I am embarrassed to show...but I just had to! You fabric lovers can have a giggle at my expense!




I thought of you on ANZAC Day, Pop...Rest in Peace, Professor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment