Wednesday 18 August 2010

I love me...do you love you?

Do you count your blessings often? Think, now. Are you grateful for what you have?

The book I am reading is talking about how many people who are born in Western society (i.e. not in a country with war, poverty, restrictions etc) moan about what they don't have or can't get or want rather than evaluate what they have and feel grateful for it.

I have to admit I have met a lot of people in my life who try and catch the 'Joneses' or who are 'the Joneses'. I am not a Jones, nor do I want to be one. We don't live in a McMansion, we don't have the latest stuff and we don't have a million dollars in the bank. But, we're really happy. And so grateful to live this day with what we do have. Sure, I am sitting here in an old brown cardigan (my favourite), jeans with paint on them and Birkenstoks that are so old they now make a noise, but I am happy. I am sitting here with hair that hasn't been cut in months, with no make-up on and on the larger side (I'm going to start working on that soon...ahem)...but I am really happy. Society tells me I should be a size 10-12, wear make-up all of the time, get my hair done every six weeks and colour it multiple ways and wear the latest in clothes and shoes and have the latest bags blah, blah, blah. You know what? I can't be bothered. It's just not me. I much prefer to love me the way I am, whether people understand or like it or not :)

1 comment: