Sunday 12 December 2010

Me, us and them - for a change...

Justin and I are always mindful that time is here for the living - and living we do. We try and offer our boys as many differing memories as possible. Looking back on 2010, I think this blog has been too much about fabric (ahem) and I wanted it to be more about our life and times. So, I am popping in a post about us today :)

Photobucket
Our three-year-old Gabriel is enjoying his first real 'Hissmass'. Every time he sees a Christmas 'thing' he yells out 'Hissmass Santa!' He didn't cry on Santa's lap for the annual photo - but he didn't look at him, either :)

Photobucket
Our seven-going-on-30 year old Logan is still Mr Babbleboy and I swear he says a million words a day - but he gives the best 'Fogey hugs and kisses' and makes us laugh minute after minute. His school report this year was amazing - he is tracking two years ahead in three subjects. We can't be prouder of him. But he has to stop growing, I say - I am not ready for a son who can't fit under my arm already :(

Photobucket
'Retro Angel' once again looks over our lives from the lofty heights of our Christmas tree. I love her - she is my favourite Christmas decoration. Home made by a stranger and picked up somewhere I can't remember. But anyone who pops some lace over a polystyrene cup and sticks a 60s dolls head on and then makes her fabric wings and arms/hands is a super ace person to me! However, as the polystyrene cup really doesn't lend itself to sitting atop a tree, she is always on a lean looking rather 'under the weather', as my Mum would say...

Photobucket
We've had a ball in our garden for the first time this year - instead of pretty bushes and such, we have pulled the front and back yard out to create a living, edible garden. We had a massive crop of garlic - the stems on some are thicker than two fingers and I'm looking forward to yummy strawberries and blueberries soon...not to mention our laden plum tree...sweet goodness!

Photobucket
We've had our first chickens this year - well, for me it's the first time, but Justin had them the majority of his childhood in New Zealand. The four girls are gorgeous - I absolutely love having them as...ahem...pets. Cathy Freeman (the fastest of the bunch), Bea (named after the top dog Bea in Prisoner as this chook is top chook), Maryland (what Justin is going to do with her when she's finished laying...he thinks) and Chook (named by the sons - yes, very original!) are the best backyard pets you can have. They love a cuddle and you can scratch them on their backs and under their wings and then they reward you with eating all of the bad things in the garden - and then the good, like all of our tomato bushes. They love their morning Weetbix and milk and rather like a grape or two, too...

Photobucket
There are always surprises in life - like our two cats Percy and Maple enjoying the shady and cool confines of the chicken coop. It seems to be an okay thing with the chooks - the cats can have the upper deck and the chooks love the bottom. If the chooks aren't happy when the cats are in there the whole neighbourhood hears it, I can tell you...and then today they all shared leftover spaghetti bolognese. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment