Thursday 2 December 2010

Women with tattoos in 1963...yes, they existed!

Photobucket

I had no idea ladies had so many tattoos in 1963! I thought tattoos didn't really come in to society until the 1970s and even then it was men who got those 'green' tattoos - it's rare that I have come across ladies who are 60+ with ink decoration! I have ink decoration myself - fond memories of Byron Bay in the 1990s - but good ol' Cindy Ray is one out of the bag for me...she would be quite common these day, though. I love her back design...

And thanks to the lovely Leisa for pointing us to Ms Cindy's Facebook page - amazing!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Image and article taken from Man Magazine, 1963.

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing story for the time. Still wondering though whether "empictured" is actually a word or it was just used then. My how times have changed - they printed her full address. I love tatts (have a few myself) and admire sleeves on other women but mine are small compared to the delightful Cindy Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has a facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45151974161#!/group.php?gid=45151974161

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I have to put that in the post - thank you, Leisa! Wow...what a FB page...those photos!

    ReplyDelete