Tuesday 20 April 2010

The Good Life

Justin has been telling me about The Good Life - a BBC series produced from 1975-1978. It's about a couple who leave the rat race to try and live their lives as sustainably as possible...

I loved the idea of it so he got the first series and we settled down to watch the first couple of episodes last night. It's a wag - I love it. It's funny - and it hits the right nerve for us at the moment. In episode two they waited for their chickens to lay their first eggs - I think I'll be exactly the same...

I have tried to Google the script for the first episode, as some lines were very pertinent. The main character - Tom Good - realises what the 'it' is that he has been yearning for. He realises the 'it' is getting out of life's circle - to work to live instead of living to work (and living more than working). Love those lines...they are very true in 2010, I feel.

7 comments:

  1. We loved this show! My parents always watched it.
    Love to catch it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite was their neighbour Margot.
    Richard Briers always annoyed me in this show for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  3. In America they changed the title to "Good Neighbors", so you might try searching for that title for scripts! I love this show, always will watch reruns of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore The Good Life! There's a hilarious episode where they get Margot drunk... very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you all liked it - one of the episodes last night was when Margot got drunk on the Good's homemade wine. Hilarious! A feel good show - can't believe I haven't seen it before today...

    xNess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah - The Good Life is wonderful! I think I know practically every line! They still repeat episodes on cable TV here in the UK. I think it's on G.O.L.D. And yes, it's still very relevant today!
    I had to laugh at the first picture on your post. Did you realise that the original bird from the titles has been replaced with the logo from the Liberal Democrat political party?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeekkkk - a political logo?? Gosh - I didn't realise - thank you so much for telling me! I have just changed it to the correct one...

    Have a lovely weekend!
    xNess

    ReplyDelete