Saturday 28 November 2009

Stir Up Sunday - a new family tradition...


Photo of plum pudding recipe - Frankie magazine, issue Nov/Dec 2008

I made my first plum pudding for Christmas last year. I had grown up with a family friend making our plum pudding - in muslin, with coinage - and when she passed a couple of years back we started to purchase our plum pudding. No matter how nice the puddings were it just wasn't the same...

Lo and behold I entered the amazing world of Frankie last year and in the Nov/Dec 2008 edition they had a wonderful plum pudding recipe. I don't know why but I decided to make it. The older I get the more sentimental I get (and I was already sentimental) - but I thought the ritual of making the plum pudding could start a new family tradition. I was so proud I took a photo on Christmas Day...it tasted just a lovely as it looked :) I'll write the recipe out tomorrow and post it on the blog...



This year I decided to find out when the right time was to make the plum pudding. I came across Stir Up Sunday. Even though I am a Buddhist this seemed like such a wonderful ritual and tradition - the family time, the sharing in the stirring of the plum pudding mixture, the official start to Christmas etc. Sunday 29 November is Stir Up Sunday this year so today I set about cutting my fruit and peel with the help of all of the boys so it had overnight to bathe in the brandy. We're ready for Stir Up Sunday tomorrow and the 'steaming of the pudd'...I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of my childhood as well, down to the tablecloth pictured. sadly my grandmother has passed and the recipe remains lost. atomdustbin.com

    ReplyDelete