Tuesday 16 November 2010

Textile designers are true artisans

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am loving the fabric at the moment - like crafters love the hook, the needles or whir of the sewing machine. I am working closer with it than ever before - and more of it than every before! This new camera is making me focus on so many aspects of it - textile designers truly are magical artists, I think.

I think there is a definite art in textile design. We have all seen the cheap fabrics and the cheap designs and now, with the advent of digital printing and PDF, anyone can design fabric and have it printed. It has never been like that before. I am scared of it, to tell you the truth. Textile designers have created since cloth was first woven - tribes have printed their own mark on their wares and traditional attire. When mass printing arrived only the best designs were printed. The best. And now we have a small world where anyone who can pop a design into InDesign and Photoshop and turn it into a PDF to send it off to be printed. There are some amazing prints out there. And there are so many that aren't amazing. Is this good or is this bad for the textile industry? I don't know - it gives wonderful opportunity to all, but to the fabric houses perhaps it is the death knell of fabric collections....or does it make them work even harder? Or does it give them a plethora of wonderful designs to copy?

So much to this about. I love my world of vintage design and vintage pieces - it is much easier than the modern, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment